Tuesday, November 16, 2004

Throwing Caution to the Winds

What makes the majority of cigarette smokers so thoughtless? Really – if anyone has any insight into this topic, please let me know what I’m missing.

How many times must I see a carefree (not, I stress, careless) smoker toss a still-burning cigarette out a car window to the fast-moving street below? How often will I have to step aside to dodge a discarded, smoking butt left behind by some unthinking smoker about to leave the street for a cigarette-free zone? Is this not littering? Is this not throwing trash into the street? Is this just to be accepted as a by-product of our disposable and thoughtless society?

This is burning waste matter – paper, on fire, smoldering and waiting for the chance to spark a massive conflagaration. It’s unattractive, and it’s dangerous. Period.

No comments: