Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Sucker Punched

All fighters are prostitutes and all promoters are pimps.
Larry Holmes, U.S. boxing champion

Everywhere I went on Saturday, okay, I only ran errands to three places, Home Depot, the local meat market to get fish, and BevMo. Everyone was talking about the fight –Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Oscar De La Hoya. I gave in and decided to get the Pay Per View. While De La Hoya neglected to use his jab and Mayweather didn’t pack
much of a punch, when it was over I felt like I was sucker punched. I feel completely ripped off for buying into the hype.

Both fighters promised to retire after the fight, but I will bet you the next PPV that there will be another fight before the year is out. A reported $23 million for De La Hoya and $12 million or so for Mayweather, I am certain that there will be a rematch. But I can promise you that I will not be fooled a second time. I will hate myself when the next cable bill arrives for this fight. Both the fighters dodged the tough punch Saturday night, but I feel as though I was sucker punched.

1 comment:

Chandira said...

AH, just go watch that most awesome fight of all time, Clint Eastwood.. YOu know the one, I can't think which movie it is, although I saw it again recently. Right turn, Clyde.. (Is that even the same movie? Wow, I have goldfish-brains today..)