Friday, October 07, 2005

A Direct Line to God

God is the immemorial refuge of the incompetent, the helpless, the miserable. They find not only sanctuary in His arms, but also a kind of superiority, soothing to their macerated egos: He will set them above their betters.
H. L. Mencken (1880–1956), journalist

I have been trying to ignore the Bush gang because frankly it’s a disaster for the country as a whole and for the working class struggling to get by in particular. But this story that the most powerful leader in the world has private conversations with God is beyond disturbing -- it’s unnerving.

How can he talk about Muslim radicals when he is an evangelical radical? If you believe the Bible you will find that God last spoke to Job. After Job, God has never spoken again; that is until now

President George W. Bush allegedly said God told him to invade Iraq and Afghanistan, a new BBC documentary will reveal, according to details.

Bush made the claim when he met Palestinian leader Mahmud Abbas and then foreign minister Nabil Shaath in June 2003, the ministers told the documentary series to be broadcast in Britain later this month.

The US leader also told them he had been ordered by God to create a Palestinian state, the ministers said.

Shaath, now the Palestinian information minister, said: "President Bush said to all of us: 'I'm driven with a mission from God.

'God would tell me, 'George, go and fight those terrorists in Afghanistan'.'

"And I did, and then God would tell me, 'George, go and end the tyranny in Iraq...' And I did.

"'And now, again, I feel God's words coming to me, 'Go get the Palestinians their state and get the Israelis their security, and get peace in the Middle East.' And by God I'm gonna do it'," said Shaath.

Abbas, who was also at the meeting in the Egyptian resort of Sharm al-Sheikh, recalled how the president told him: "I have a moral and religious obligation.

"So I will get you a Palestinian state."

A BBC spokesman said the content of the program had been put to the White House but it had refused to comment on a private conversation.


Here is a link that points out the danger of unchecked prayers.

Update 10/7/05 8:30 a.m.
The White House gang initially declined to comment on the above story, but since it is such a scary thought to think that the leader of the free world converses with God, they finally responded:

"That's absurd. He's never made such comments," White House spokesman Scott McClellan said Thursday.

But, what did he say? That is probably classified just as the 10 terrorist attacks are. hmmm, shades of Joe McCarthy

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

And did this come from an even microscopically credible source?

Er, well, no. It didn't.

It came from PA clowns. Even by third-world kleptocracy standards, the PA is grossly dysfunctional.

Read this very carefully, if you can read: THINK. CRITICALLY.

Don't just believe everything you hear, just because it fits your preconceptions. Here's a concept you'll never comprehend: If somebody tells you precisely what you want to hear, he is conning you. Get that? I'll say it again, because you're too stupid to grasp it the first time: If it sounds too good to be true, it is. That's called a "truism". They call it that because it's true.

Over your head? Beyond your grasp? Can't quite figure it out?

Good. Next time you show up in the Big City, country cousin, look for the three-card monte guy. Just give him all your money. You can trust him.

I promise.

Heh.

Imbecile.

The Misanthrope said...

Dear Anonymous:
Please practice what you preach about thinking critically. Why would this be believed in the first place if Bush himself had not already admitted that he talked to God in regards to invading Iraq. When our "president" was asked at a press conference in the United States, he said that he did not consult with his own father, but with a higher father. So, Bush himself gives this story credibility.

Look and I can respond to you without resorting to name calling.

stc said...

I've read the piece by Mark Twain before (I love Mark Twain!). I am reminded of a story told by Tony Campolo, an evangelical sociologist and author.

The story is of a man who is drafted into the Air Force. At the induction centre, he says, "I should tell you that I am a Christian."

The officer says, "Are you telling me that you're a conscientious objector?"

"I don't know. I'm just saying, I'm a Christian."

"What do you mean you don't know? Let me make this easy. If we send you to drop a bomb on an enemy village, will you obey the order or not?"

"I told you, I don't know. Here's what I'll do. I'll fly the plane over the village and then, when it's time to release the bomb, I'll ask myself: What would Jesus do? And I'll do whatever I think is right at that moment, when I'm actually in the situation."

The officer responded, "Everyone knows that Jesus wouldn't drop a bomb on anyone!" — and granted him an exemption from military service as a conscientious objector.

That's my long-winded way of making the point — since I am a Christian — that Mark Twain understood the spirit of Jesus better than George Dubya does.
Q