Sunday, October 02, 2005

The Misanthrope – Sunday’s Lighter Side
Talkin’ Baseball Playoffs

Baseball is the greatest of American games. Some say football, but it is my firm belief, and it shall always be, that baseball has no superior.
Thomas Alva Edison (1847 - 1931), inventor

At the start of the baseball season On The Mark and I (here) made our picks, now is the time to see how we have done:

In summary, I did pretty well in picking the division champions in both leagues. I didn’t do as well picking the rest of the positions. I was correct in the American League East with the Yankees first followed by Boston Red Sox. I missed the American League Central Division, I had Minnesota first and the Chicago White Sox third. I was certainly wrong there.

My favorite is that I picked the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim to finish first and they did. The rest of that division I got wrong. However, the Dodgers did not fool me, I picked San Diego to finish first, and they did. I also made the right call by picking St. Louis, but I missed badly in the National League East by selecting the Florida Marlins. Once again, the Atlanta Braves took that division, I think for the 14th time in almost as many years.

On The Mark’s picks were very similar and he too missed the National League East and he picked the Arizona Diamondbacks in the National League West.

The playoffs beginning Tuesday and we may know tomorrow whether it will be Boston or Cleveland in the playoffs. I am still sticking with my picks at the beginning of the season that the Angels and St. Louis will be in the World Series. On The Mark picked also picked the Angels.

Let’s Go Angels!

And so I drink long life to the boys who plowed a new equator round the globe stealing bases on their bellies.
Mark Twain (1835 - 1910), writer

2 comments:

Jack Steiner said...

The Angels are the Dodgers in disguise.

The Misanthrope said...

I very much agree with that.