Tuesday, February 14, 2006

If You Must – Happy Valentine’s Day

The essence of romantic love is that wonderful beginning, after which sadness and impossibility may become the rule.
Anita Brookner, novelist, art historian

Everyone knows that it is Valentine’s Day. Just 51 days ago, husbands and wives, boyfriends and girlfriends all showed their love for one another on Christmas or during Hanukah, and now it’s required again? It all seems a bit silly to me, but than again I am single, so I’m obviously no expert.

Even while married, I found this pseudo holiday incredibly contrived and simply a way for Hallmark and florists to flourish. Maybe that was part of the problem. So to celebrate this Valentine’s Day I will watch the movie "Four Brothers" exact revenge for the death of their mother.

I am such the romantic.


The above photo is titled "Drinking Alone."

5 comments:

Trish said...

It's definitely too commercial.

Anonymous said...

Today's even my anniversary and we don't do anything about it. Why face the crowded restaurants, etc.? UGH.

B2 said...

If I were still posting, I'd mention how incredibly perfect my wife is, and that I relish the opportunity to show her that I feel thusly -- since as much as we may try, it's hard to remember to do it every day.

Janet said...

One of my favorite anti Valentine's Day-esque scenes is from The Wedding Singer. Adam Sandler was just dumped by his fiancee and is singing his personally tailored version of "Love Stinks". I noticed a lot of bloggers are anti valentine's day come to think of it...coincidence?

The Misanthrope said...

Trish, it's almost as bad as Christmas.

BJ, that is smart, especially since all the prices are jacked up for this faux celebration.

B2, I think it's great you two are so in love.

Janet, The Wedding Singer is another movie I need to put on my list. I just watched Alfie Monday night. I liked the movies