Sunday, June 18, 2006

Happy Father's Day, Dad

Blessed indeed is the man who hears many gentle voices call him father!
Lydia M. Child (1802–80), abolitionist, writer

Dear Dad:

Happy Father’s Day. I decided to write an open letter to you to let you know how loved and appreciated you are by me, and many others including my siblings, but this is my letter and my blog, so I will use it for my letter to you.

I find it rather interesting that the older I get the smarter you have become. All the many virtues such as your unselfishness and tenacious attitude have been passed down and carried on. I see a few of your qualities in me, and I recognize many in Daughter too. So, while time takes its unrelenting toll on all of us, it does not diminish your standing in my eyes.

You taught me much through your hard work and by the simple eloquence of your example. Your tireless and most impressive, your uncomplaining (a trait that neither Daughter nor I possess) efforts over the years to provide for us all. The years of toiling outside carrying heavy loads, waking at the crack of dawn have not gone unnoticed or unappreciated.

One of my proudest memories is of you coming home night after night from a full day of the hard labor of sheet metal work to see you at the dinner table each evening working with mom to transcribe your notes and compile your final notebook for the sheriff’s academy, which you aced with a perfect score. You did this for the love of it, not for any financial gain. Once you retired from your day job and public service, you moved on to plying your trade for the space program. Impressive indeed.

Like a championship team where the individual efforts work together to bring about the best; you and mom have succeeded. Thank you.

Love,
Your son

6 comments:

Unknown said...

awwwww..this was so sweet..Happy Fathers Day dear man :p Hope your daughter spends it w/you and you both have a good time.

ps..my laptop blew up and I lost that link to the Radio Nation podcasts..if you still have it would you be so kind as to give it back? :p

Janet said...

Wonderful father's day tributes are all over the internet today, complete with classic pictures. :)

Unknown said...

thanks for giving me that link back..yes, I am grateful you do not clean out your emails..do people actually DO that? :p

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Chandira said...

I forgot to send my dad a card. BUt, at least I can count on the fact that he's like me, and doens't like Hallmark Holidays. 2 peas in a pod. He's an odd one too.

My dad rocks. I don't thik I ever told him he's my hero, but I think he's guessed by now. I'm definitely a Daddy's Girl. Perhaps I should. Nice post.

maarmie said...

I sent my dad a card. I think that's more than he deserves. HFD.