Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Beautiful Children and LA Outlaws

The world may be full of fourth-rate writers, but it's also full of fourth-rate readers.
Stan Barstow, novelist

One book is by Charles Bock and the other by T. Jefferson Parker. “Beautiful Children” by Bock is very descriptive with a boring story. "LA Outlaws" is regular writing and with a good story.

I have decided that I will take an interesting story over acrobatic writing anytime. Bock’s book seemed like it took me forever to finish it, mainly because I would put it down and have little desire to pick it up again. "LA Outlaws" was an enjoyable mystery that kept me coming back to the story to see what would happen next.

“The Finder” by Colin Harrison is my next book. This is suppose to be a good combination of writing and story.

3 comments:

sporksforall said...

Ugh. I brought Beautiful Children as my travel book and am now worried that my initial reaction to it--boring--is right. I may abandon it and seek a Borders. Thanks for the tip...

Anonymous said...

Stay with it. It gets really really good. I thought the second half was seriously amazing.

The Misanthrope said...

Hi Sporks, I think you'll be okay with it. I'll be interested in your thoughts when you finish it.

Anonymous, I agree the second half was better, I will say the last quarter was better still, but I want something that keeps me interested in the characters and the story all the way through, at least more than half or a quarter of the book.