Sunday, April 15, 2007

Sunday Filler

If lawyers are disbarred and clergymen are defrocked, shouldn't it follow that cowboys would be deranged?
Cowboy quote found through Google

Cowboys. I love westerns, not all westerns, but the “good ones.” Long ago, when I was a kid, the Rifleman was one of those shows. Recently I discovered that it’s on every night on the western channel. It was a time when crises had nicely wrapped endings and there were no ambiguities. When Lucas McCain was challenged, the town of Northfork threatened or his TV son Mark endangered, McCain answered with his

repeating Winchester rifle, unrealistically faster than a quick-draw firing off his pistol. The best episodes are the ones directed by Sam Peckinpah.

Here is a little bit of Rifleman trivia from Wikipedia:

  • Conners played with the Brooklyn Dodgers and the Chicago Cubs, briefly.
  • In the opening titles of The Rifleman, Connors fires a Winchester repeating rifle 12 times. The Winchester 1892 only held 10 rounds.
  • Connor's height is listed by the Dodgers as 6'5".
    At a party given by U.S. President Nixon at the Western White House in San Clemente, California, in June, 1973, Connors was introduced to Secretary General Leonid Brezhnev of the Soviet Union.. The Rifleman was one of the few American shows allowed on Russian television at that time because it was Brezhnev's favorite. Connors and Brezhnev hit it off so well that in December 1973, Connors traveled to the Soviet Union where he presented Brezhnev with two engraved Colt revolvers and filmed a documentary.


Movies. Within the last month, I watched two movies about magicians (“The Prestige” and “The Illusionist”) and enjoyed both even though neither movie was great. They were fun to watch. I have to say I learned a bit more about magicians from “The Prestige,” well at least what the title means.

Fish. My new favorite barbecued fish is Orange Roughy now that I am tired of Salmon. However, today is Sunday and the young Republican has to have her Tri-tip, which is fine with me too because it complements a nice heavy red wine. Then I can settle in and watch the "Tudors" and the "Sopranos."

5 comments:

Anita said...

Hi there! I can't find your email address :(, but wanted to let you know where I was at.

http://againstthetide.typepad.com.

I'm barely set up, but it's a bit lonely over there so come visit me soon :).

The Misanthrope said...

Congratulations on the new address. I have already added you to the blogroll. I won't let anyone know the identity of your old blog that had something to do with battling gravity.

Jack Steiner said...

I used to watch The Rifleman. I always enjoyed it.

Beulah said...

I'm sorry, Paw.

The Misanthrope said...

Jack, it's still good, I bet you'd enjoy it again.

Trish, you have obviously seen it too.

Now, the show I want to see is Branded, where Chuck Conners was kicked out of the cavalry and his commanding officer broke Conners sword over his knee. It seemed that someone always remembered him and the fight ensued, but I could be wrong.