Sunday, February 01, 2009

When Bloggers Meet

“You meet people who forget you. You forget people you meet. But sometimes you meet those people you can't forget. Those are your friends.”
Unknown

I had the pleasure of meeting Jack from Random Thoughts the other night. We met at a neighborhood diner and the food was good and the waitress knew Jack (I guess that is no surprise to readers of Random Thoughts).

We talked naturally as if we knew each other for years. Well, I guess we have -- Jack started blogging in May 2004 and Toner Mishap burst onto the scene in October 2004. While we had not met previously, we did exchange e-mails and a couple of hair-raising stories.

Jack certainly is more of a misanthrope than he lets on, but by William Hazlitt’s definition. "To think ill of mankind and not wish ill to them, is perhaps the highest wisdom and virtue." And, anyone with half a brain realizes that society, as a whole needs help. I am more than a decade older than Jack, but he seems to know well there is a burden that comes with wisdom.
We talked for nearly two hours that went by very quickly (at least for me and I didn't notice any obvious signs of distress from Jack). It was a nice evening and I do hope we can do it again soon.

I have now met the bloggers of Bitch Ph.D, Sporks for All, Neurotranscendence, and Through the Looking Glass. I have been very impressed by the talent and intelligence of each and everyone of these bloggers.

2 comments:

Jack Steiner said...

I enjoyed it and you are right time passed quickly. Happy to do it again.

B2 said...

but wait -- i thought the whole point of the web was not to have to put on anything other than sweat pants... not to have to comb your hair... not to have to share physical space with another human...