Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Elvis Died 28 Years Ago Today

I read the news today oh boy
About a lucky man who made the grade

John Lennon/Paul McCartney, the Beatles, “A Day in the Life”

It’s hard to believe the Elvis has been gone for 28 years. It was on this day in 1977, I am sure before many readers here were born, but for me it was one of those "I'll always remember where I was when I heard the news" events. I was returning from Catalina Island after camping out on the beach with a friend there for a night.

We had not heard the news until after the local radio station stopped playing one Elvis song after another. The DJ reported that Elvis was dead. I did not own any Elvis records, but he was a rock and roll icon, and every Beatles fan knew about Elvis' influences.

Another time capsule that points out how time races by.

2 comments:

Steven Taylor said...

I was at my Grandmother's house in Dallas.

I think I was playing with Tinkertoys at the time (I was 9)

(and wouldn't that be 28 years ago?)

The Misanthrope said...

Now, we know why I write for a living -- it is indeed 28 years.