Wednesday, September 06, 2006

The CBS Evening News with Katie Couric

When distant and unfamiliar and complex things are communicated to great masses of people, the truth suffers a considerable and often a radical distortion. The complex is made over into the simple, the hypothetical into the dogmatic, and the relative into an absolute.
Walter Lippmann (1889–1974), U.S. journalist

Katie Couric made her CBS News début last night. It appears to me that she is bringing a bit of the morning show to the evening news, which may not be a bad idea considering the evening news needs some new ideas along with new blood.

Admittedly, I am a Brian Williams watcher and I rather like his somewhat harder hitting style, but Couric segments were a bit more in depth. I am looking forward to her interview President Bush tonight.

3 comments:

Janet said...

I can't explain exactly why I feel this way, but I just can't like Katie Couric. She's just got "average woman who was in the right place at the right time" written all over her in my eyes.

Jack Steiner said...

She just doesn't fit my image of hard news reporter.

Unknown said...

I watch news for no nonsense news..just give me the facts, save your opinions for the cocktail parties..

I was a Rather fan..I have migrated over to Brian Williams now that Rather is gone.