Sunday, September 09, 2007

Talking to Myself
Movies and Television

I find television very educational. Every time someone switches it on I go into another room and read a good book.
Groucho Marx (1895–1977), comic actor

The newly remade western “3:10 to Yuma” starting Russell Crowe and Christian Bale is every bit as good as advertised. I read the Los Angeles Times movie review from Friday this morning it is pompous, but right on the money.

I had never seen the original "Yuma," but it’s due any day now once Netflix finds my movie that I mail back last week. "The Bourne Ultimatum" was the last movie at the theaters that I watched and it was enjoyable, but Yuma kept me on the edge of my sit and I had no idea how it was going to end or what was going to happen to certain characters.

Tonight one of my favorite HBO shows returns "Curb Your Enthusiasm," which is one of those shows you either love or hate. It seems as though it has been a while since it last show an original episode. Also, the new HBO show “Tell Me You Love Me” comes on tonight that is supposed to have so much sex that it’s boring.

Right now my favorite shows are “Californication” and “Weeds” on Showtime, followed

closely by “Saving Grace” on TNT. And, that is more than enough TV for me. As
it is, it takes all week to get these shows in. We record them and watch one or two per night as the week progresses.

2 comments:

alice, uptown said...

You've got my top-three summer shows on tap. Haven't seen the new HBO show, though I did tape it. There's something special about "Saving Grace" that really appeals to me -- it's good to see an actress like Holly Hunter, who's not just today's bright-young-star-du-jour have some room to explore a very twisted but real character.

"Weeds" has gotten a little over the top this season, though I love Mary-Louise Parker and she could come to my house and read the phone book to me any day of the week.

And "Californication" is an exotic world to me, but a very vivid one.

The Misanthrope said...

Alice, I so agree about Weeds. It has lost its edge. Californication and Saving Grace are great. That new one "Tell me You Love" or whatever is terrible.

Holly Hunter is a fabulous actress and Mary-Louise Parker is almost everyone's dream male or female.