Monday, December 29, 2008

Holiday Movie Reviews

Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures.
Jessamyn West (1902 – 1984), writer

Grand Torino – Grrr. Clint Eastwood as a misanthropic old man who points a military assault rifle at kids ordering them to “get off my lawn,” (perfectly acceptable behavior and endorsed by the NRA). I thoroughly enjoyed it and now my neighbors know what to expect in a few years.

Frost/Nixon – Outstanding. Daughter came home and wanted to see it, I most likely would have missed it thinking that I watched the original with my grandfather. I would have missed a fascinating look at all the behind the scenes cat and mouse games. Nothing was ever how it seemed with Nixon.

Revolutionary Road – The Wheeler’s (Frank and April -- Leonardo DiCaprio and Kate Winslet) were neighbors to Martha and George from “Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?” This movie shows marriage as the institution it truly is…
. . . who's afraid of living life without false illusions. And it did strike me as being a rather typical, university intellectual joke. — Edward Albee on "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf."

Video worth renting
Transsiberian – A wonderfully suspenseful movie also about a marriage not as strong as inhabitants would prefer. Woody Harrelson, Emily Mortimer and Ben Kingsley are all terrific to watch.

5 comments:

Jack Steiner said...

Gran Torino and Rev. Road are on tap for me to see.

I recently saw Milk, Defiance and Rachel Getting Married. They were pretty good.

Liked Defiance and Milk the best. Fell asleep during Benjamin Buttons.

The Misanthrope said...

I heard Defiance was good. I want to see both Milk and Rachel Getting Married. The review on Buttons made me think that I would miss that one.

B2 said...

"Grand Torino" totally makes me think of you, Misanthrope. Not that I've seen it, or any grown-up movies (except edited versions on TNT).

This holiday season I've seen "Bolt" (in a theater, with the kids) "Horton Hears a Who" (in a hotel room, with the kids), "Madagascar" (actually I only listened to it while they watched it in the back of the minivan), and "What Happens in Vegas" (just me and the wife, and WTF were we thinking?).

Uisce said...

thanks for this -- always looking for stuff to add to my netflix queue. don't get out much. ok, ever. happy new year to you!

The Misanthrope said...

B2, Happy New year! Your last line about Vegas made me laugh out loud, oh that's lol, right? ;)

Uisce, Happy New Year to you. Delighted you stopped by.