Wednesday, October 07, 2009

A Brief Road Trip

“If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there”
proverb

The long and winding road that runs along an awe-inspiring stretch of coast sends worries and anxieties straight over the cliff and allows one to appreciate and enjoy the picturesque landscape that every turn reveals on California’s Highway 1.

While I had planned to keep driving up to Oregon, the lovely San Francisco beckon me to stay, so I did since I had no agenda. It had been decades since I last visited San Francisco on my own time and that makes all the difference. The city by the bay is everything Los Angeles is not: vibrate, crisp, and fresh.

Those adjectives apply to the food too, which is delicious and even a sidewalk café features fabulous fare without having to call a friend of a friend to get into the newest food spot. Specialty stores such as The Whiskey Shop, Bill’s Khakis, Orvis, and many others dot the sidewalks. Cable cars or more like electric buses power about the city without belching clouds of exhaust or blocking traffic as it zigzags from curb to pavement.

A day and a night was enough to clear my head, any longer and coming back to Los Angeles would be even tougher. The ride home on Highway 1 was long and leisurely because I stopped to snap photos at every turnout since each location looked spectacular and gorgeous. Once I reviewed them on the computer, I thought every person with a camera must have a sunset picture and if you have visited any coast there are water shots, bridges, so I have nothing original, but I now have my requisite sunset, lighthouse, and ocean shots.












by RJW

2 comments:

teresa said...

I know that lighthouse well, and yours is as good a picture of it as any.

Glad you had a chance to get out of Dodge and recharge your batteries. It sounds like you've needed it lately.

The Misanthrope said...

Thank you. I printed out the lighthouse picture and it did come out great, if I do say so myself. I am going to have it framed and put into my den.

Work has been tough, but I have not checked my e-mail once this week. I will pay for it on Tuesday when I go back.