Monday, December 05, 2011

Drink Up A Song List to Celebrate Prohibition's End

I cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food.
W. C. Fields, (1880 – 1946), actor

I almost missed this. Monday marked the 78th anniversary of the ratification of the 21st Amendment that officially ended Prohibition in the United States. On December 5, 1933, the federal government brought to a close a 13-year era of a failed prohibition of alcohol.



I got this idea from Mother Jones. Here is a list of drinking songs to celebrate or morn. Let’s set the scene in the wee hours of the morning with Mr. Sinatra and we’ll end on a bawdy tune with another Frank, Mr. Zappa):

  1. One for My Baby (And One More for the Road), Count & The Orchestra Basie/Frank Sinatra, Sinatra at the Sands
  2. Angel Eyes, Count & The Orchestra Basie/Frank Sinatra, Sinatra at the Sands
  3. Drinking Again, Frank Sinatra, Nothing But The Best
  4. Medley: Drink To Me Only With Thine Eyes/I Don't Care If The Sun Don't Shine Dean Martin, Rat Pack Live At The Sands
  5. Hey Brother, Pour The Wine, Dean Martin, The Capitol Years
  6. Have Another Drink, The Kinks, Kinks Present A Soap Opera
  7. Alcohol, The Kinks, Muswell Hillbillies
  8. My Alcoholic Friends, The Dresden Dolls, Yes, Virginia...
  9. Alcohol, Barenaked Ladies, Stunt
  10. The Drinking Song, Loudon Wainwright III, Recovery
  11. The Piano Has Been Drinking (Not Me), Tom Waits Small Change
  12. The Fourth Night of My Drinking, Drive-By Truckers, The Big To-Do
  13. Daddy Needs a Drink, Drive-By Truckers, Brighter Than Creations Dark
  14. I Think I'll Just Stay Here And Drink, Merle Haggard: The Best of Merle Haggard
  15. Rudy wants to buy Yez a drink, Frank Zappa, Chunga's revenge
  16. Moonshine Whiskey, Van Morrison, Tupelo Honey
  17. Whiskey Can Can, Beck, One Foot In the Grave
  18. Rye Whiskey, Punch Brothers, T Bone Burnett Presents: The Speaking Clock Revue - Live from The Beacon Theatre
  19. Women Without Whiskey, Drive-By Truckers, Southern Rock Opera
  20. Warm Beer and Cold Women, Tom Waits, Nighthawks at the Diner
  21. Down Among the Wines and Spirits, Elvis Costello, Secret, Profane and Sugarcane
  22. Elderberry Wine, Elton John, Don't Shoot Me I'm Only the Piano Player
  23. Pass The Wine (Sophia Loren), The Rolling Stones, Exile On Main Street
  24. Titties & Beer, Frank Zappa, Zappa In New York

1 comment:

OnTheMark said...

I've been wanting to do research on the prohibition. I don't know enough about it.