Friday, January 28, 2005

Clobberin' Time

The Commish as The Thing? Yeah, why not? It wasn't the choice of actor that had worried me (and Michael Chiklis has been, admittedly, great in his other roles); it was the look and feel of the character.

Would he be the big, bold, ever-lovin' Thing that John Byrne penciled, over-muscled with a solid brow and angular build? Or would he appear more as he did in Jack Kirby's artwork in the first issues of the now-famous mag? The answer is clear from the trailer; the Kirby vision awaits.



I've posted this panel from the first issue for those of you who don't remember the more organic, rounded Thing (click it to see it huge). You'll note, as well, that his rough-and-tumble dialogue was not in play at this early time -- would The Thing really ever say "he'll not get another chance"?

And as there are many readers of Toner Mishap who have requested a glimpse of the first issue of the Fantastic Four, here's the cover for your perusal, big and bright as all get out (I never understood that phrase).

So weigh in, won't you -- which Thing do you prefer? The Kirby original? The Byrne brow? Fred Hembeck? Add what the hell was this?

6 comments:

Jack Steiner said...

Always enjoyed the Fantastic Four

Me said...

Man, they are going to screw this movie up so bad. I just know it. They screwed it up the first time and they'll do it again.

At least in my mind. I'm an avid comic fan (not as much so anymore as I've gotten older) but I believe that if you make a movie based on a comic - you should stay true to the story. We'll see.

Michael Chiklits (whatever) is a good choice since Brian Bosworth is too old and Mr. T is too black and Andre the Giant is dead and never spoke very good English anyways. I think that if Triple H (from the WWE) wasn't so mean looking, he could have played him. But then the Rock would have to have been Johnny Storm. Whatever. As long as Sue Storm (I thought it was Sue Richards - see, they changed it already) gets nude - invisible style.

B2 said...

Hector: at the risk of revealing too much of my geek past, I do know this: Sue was Sue Storm because she was only engaged to Reed Richards for a while in the comics; after they married she took his name. As for Johnny, my big complaint is that he's supposed to be blond. Nuff said.

And as for movie adaptations of comics, if you like true adaptations (and not interpretations), take a peek at what they're doing with Frank Miller's Sin City.

Me said...

Yeah, i've been following the Sin City thing - that's going to be sweet. I'm already reserving the DVD and Xbox game in my head...

Jack Steiner said...

I am still optimistic.

Jeff Faria said...

You don't get 'all get-out'? Sheesh!