Thursday, January 06, 2005

"Hi, I'm Richard Gere and I'm speaking for the entire world."



In a television commercial broadcast ahead of Sunday's poll in the West Bank and Gaza, actor Richard Gere urged Palestinians to get out to vote for a new president.

"Hi, I'm Richard Gere and I'm speaking for the entire world. We're with you during this election time. It's really important. Get out and vote," Gere said in the advertisement. He repeated the final phrase in Arabic.

Many voters say they have never heard of him, and were even less interested when they were told he's an American.

"I don't even know who the candidates are other than Abu Mazen, let alone this Gere," Gaza soap factory worker Manar an-Najar told Reuters.

"We don't need the Americans' intervention. We know who to elect. Not like them -- they elected a moron."

[Thanks, Dave. Link to the original story here.]

2 comments:

annette said...

Well, then the Palestinians just don't know ANYTHING since they don't do what Richard says. I mean, anything Richard tells me to do, I follow - no questions. Sheesh, people who think for themselves should just be locked up.

Martyr73 said...

I have updated my "What tha?!?! News" post with a link to your site for this story. I had originally intended to include it, but for some reason I forgot. Everything else seemed to have made it in, though. Here's the link:

http://what-tha.blogspot.com/2005/01/what-tha-news.html

Thanks for bringing it to my attention. :)