Saturday, January 29, 2005

Happiness is a Warm Gun

When I hold you in my arms
And I feel my finger on your trigger
I know no one can do me no harm
Because happiness is a warm gun.

“Happiness is a Warm Gun,” The Beatles, John Lennon and Paul McCartney

Houston’s transit agency repealed its ban on the carrying of concealed handguns on buses and commuter trains. Let’s face it, until every man, woman and child is carrying a gun on their person or in their vehicle or both, the gun organizations will not be happy. They would like us to retrogress to the days when everyone was equipped for a gun fight at the OK Corral.

According to the Los Angeles Times article, Jerry Patterson, chairman of the Civil Liberties Defense Foundation, one of the groups that sued, said: "Metro is to be commended. They did the right thing. They did the lawful thing. They saved their ratepayers unnecessary funds to litigate it further."

Patterson said his organization had simply tried to make sure that licensed and law-abiding citizens were allowed to carry concealed handguns on transit systems if they wished.

Next on Patterson's list are transit systems in Austin and San Antonio, as well as other government entities that have similar bans in place.

The next logical step for Houston will be to side aside dueling spots. Maybe the former Georgia Senator Zell Miller will get his wish about challenging people to duels.

2 comments:

The Misanthrope said...

You win. I will certainly not cut you off on the freeway. However, others may not be so easily intimidated and look forward to challenging you. I'll just be the on looker with the bullet-proof vest and helmet, driving behind you guys in the Brinks armored car.

Chandira said...

I'd like to know which law-abiding citizens.. Damned if I know any..