Saturday, February 03, 2007

Keep Your Clothes On, Please!

Our growing softness, our increasing lack of physical fitness, is a menace to our security.
John F. Kennedy (1917–63), U.S. president

I just pulled this verbatim from the Wall Street Journal e-mail because there is nothing I can add to it, except I don’t care if it were just women, I wouldn’t find it attractive in that environment.

Fitness Au Naturale
Because the locker room just isn't awkward enough, Patrick de Man, owner of Fitworld gym in Heteren, Netherlands, invites you to work out in the buff on "Naked Sundays." Looking for a way to expand his fitness center's options, Mr. De Man made a simple calculation. "I heard that some other gyms are offering courses on 'pole-dancing' as a sport, so I thought, why not bring something new to the market" by instituting a clothing-free workout one day a week. That's good news for naturists who want to keep in shape, but for those who prefer to have a few swatches of fabric to cover themselves or others, the club is now its own special kind of red-light district. What's more, some worry that the idea isn't sanitary. But Mr. De Man says not to worry; members must cover benches with towels and all the machines and weights are given a good going-over. "We clean them every day,'' he said.

5 comments:

Janet said...

I could be going out on a limb here, but I actually think far less working out would actually start going on. This has got to be the exact opposite reason to go to the gym in the first place, right?

B2 said...

Our new slogan:

"Toner Mishap - Now Featuring Penises"

Did I miss a meeting?

The Misanthrope said...

I thought I did a good job of cropping that photo, it doesn't show a thing. Okay, maybe it deserves an R rating.

alice, uptown said...

Some people have way too much time on their hands -- I can think of few things less enticing than naked people at the gym. These are probably people whom one could easily live without ever seeing them clothed.

The Misanthrope said...

Janet, I think the gym would be empty except for a few nutjobs that would view the gym as some night club.

Alice, I agree with you 100%.