Sunday, April 08, 2007

Miscellaneous Notes

“It’s Easter; living by the days,” Joe Cocker
“I was just gonna say, don’t get hung up about Easter,” Leon Russell

From the CD "Mad Dogs and Englishmen," 1970

Presidential Campaign. In my humble opinion, the presidential campaign has started so early because there is Bush fatigue; both sides want him out of office.

Vacation. The little Republican is on a long weekend cruise.

Cable Season. I’m looking forward to the "Sopranos" tonight and "The Tutors." Also waiting for "Big Love" and "Weeds."

Dinner. Attended a very nice and thoughtful dinner last night given by friend Sylvia. She thanked her close friends for being friends. It was very sweet.

Trees. I am amazed at how fast the leaves have appeared on the trees around the house. While I look forward to their shade this summer, I dread the fall and the mess they make. Not a bad worry to have.

Baseball. Thank goodness for baseball. It’s just such a wonderful sport. Unfortunately, everything about it outside of the white lines seems to want to detract from the game: owners, salaries, steroids, parking fees.

Personal Tidbit. I am an excellent ping-pong player. My closest competitor wins maybe three out of 15 games. I need new competition. I am not talking national ping-pong championship style; I am talking about playing in the garage. Hey, one has to emphasize one’s positive attributes where they can be found.

8 comments:

Jack Steiner said...

The Sopranos was alright.Not spectacular, but even.

I am a fan of Big Love too.

The Misanthrope said...

Jack,
I agree, even and slightly better than expected. The previews looked good for next week as well. Weeds returns in August, they start the reruns today to build up for the new season.

Frankly, when I think about it, if they were all taken off the air, I wouldn't miss them and I'd save a bit of money.

The Misanthrope said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jack Steiner said...

The Sopranos has been tough because sometimes it has been so very good. And then the next week it just kind goes........

Anonymous said...

On the Mark says: I enjoyed the Monopoly game even before the fight. I thought it was a very accurate portrayal of family/friends, drinking too much, saying too much, and then in a swift moment relationships are never again the same. I also liked Tony stealing money from the bank, even after he was caught.

Chandira said...

Ping Pong? Robert's second favourite sport, after basketball of course.
Mine is shopping, followed closely by naptime. That's a sport. Honest.

Anonymous said...

On the Mark says: Chandira - The Misanthrope also is the king of napping (when he's not playing ping pong)

The Misanthrope said...

On The Mark,
The first episode was better than average; keeping the money after he was caught was typical Tony.

Chandira,
On The Mark is right, napping is something else that I am very good at. I even wrote a short essay for your daily newspaper many years ago on the art of napping.