Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Why My Wife Doesn't Always Like Watching Movies With Me

I watched the movie "Modigliani" the other day -- starring [Cuban] Andy Garcia as the Italian-Jewish painter -- and enjoyed it, as I do most biographies/biopics of painters. One sticking point: an art director with little sense of responsibility for historic typefaces. One example should suffice to outrage those of you who care about such matters (and though more would increase my credibility, it would do so at the risk of alienating the 99% of the audience who are, naturally, not typophiles).

Eurostile is one of the most important creations of the Italian font designer Aldo Novarese. The font reflects the Zeitgeist of the 1950s and 1960s, giving text a dynamic, modern feel. Eurostile is intended for headlines and small bodies of text. So what better place to put it than on a window in Paris circa 1914?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed the movie Modigliani very much too. Andy Garcia is such a wonderful actor!

Anonymous said...

You know that this is one of the reasons I love you.

Readers should know that you point out type errors for all period movies and that at home you are not shy about explaining them. I am always amazed at just how much you know about fonts.

Anonymous said...

Oh, and that is not why I don't always like watching movies with you. You just sometimes pick movies where someone has to give up their dog, or a small child is in danger or some other horrible thing that I would rather not think about.

Plus, you painted in the garage while I watched "Because I Said So" last night - so I could post (if I had a blog) about how my husband does not watch movies with me.

You are luck that I find type geeks sexy.