Friday, December 17, 2004

On The Mark -- Double Your Risk

A few years ago my back flared up and I was suffering through some severe pain. I reluctantly took some anti-inflammatories that helped relieve some of the pain, although they made my stomach rumble and my mood gloomy. I asked my mother, "How did people in your generation get through these kinds of ailments." Her response still stays with me, "We just learned to get through it, we had no other choice. But we got through it." Ever since that day, I've taken less medication -- for headaches, backaches, colds, etc. -- and I've been better for it. On a whim during my next back episode, I went through a series of acupuncture treatments. It worked wonders. I didn't take one pill. I've also found various natural and homeopathic remedies that have worked wonders compared to what the multitude of pharmaceuticals, over the counter and prescription, have to offer. We've been brainwashed to take medication for everything. And when the adult market got saturated, then kids were freely and shamelessly targeted. Is this any worse than the tobacco industry, really? When I was a kid, discipline kept me in line, not drugs. With today's news that Celebrex can cause twice the probability of heart attacks, it's another reminder to everyone to explore natural remedies. Certainly, some medications are needed, but it's time to cut through the clutter.

Bush will be paying tribute to the troops, to the tune of $40 million, during his multi-day inauguration. I wonder if even one red-stater at these parties will be thinking about the soldiers who are getting maimed while the partygoers are dancing because we don't have enough money to get the soldiers the right equipment? I mean, this is beyond pathetic. This is (the fall of) Romanesque. I keep waiting to hear someone in the administration (Rumsfeld?) say, "Let them eat cake." Does anyone know where the orgies will be taking place?

No comments: