Tuesday, May 10, 2005

Cross-Town Traffic

Rush hour: that hour when traffic is almost at a standstill.
J. C. Morton (1893 - 1979), British journalist

The story on traffic congestion that reports Los Angeles motorists sit in traffic an average of 93 hours a year involves data that is almost two years old. If I spent only 93 hours a year in traffic I would be delighted. Ninety-three hours is only 47 days of drive time for me on normal days. When there are accidents or rain, I can do 93 hours in even less days.

In just one-year’s time, I can tell that traffic has increased on my drive by at least 15 minutes. I have to leave the house 15 minutes earlier today, than I did last year at the same time, or my drive time increases by almost 30 minutes.

Traffic is a real problem and politicians don't seem to do anything about it.

4 comments:

Jack Steiner said...

I used to commute 36 miles each direction. It was horrible.

Now I am really lucky and my commute is down to 4.5 miles each way. But the sad thing is that even that short a distance can still take far longer than it should, all thanks to traffic.

The Misanthrope said...

Government from federal to local can put money and resources into expanding highways and public transportation. Local government can stop building homes until they have the infrastructure to support more homes.

Los Angeles at one time had a public transit system known as the Trolley, which had 1,000 miles of track. There was later a conspiracy to buy up the track and put the cars out of service to encouraged the purchase of buses that used gas and tires. They were eventually found guilty, and many years later fined $1.
check out the site: http://www.nocturne.com/history/Default.asp?ID=12

The Misanthrope said...

Today, Los Angeles has buses, which do make a difference in reducing traffic, I could tell traffic was much heavier during the MTA strike. LA also has a train service and subways, but they need to increase the service and expand the subways, much faster. They are not keeping pace with the population growth.

B2 said...

Hey, Devo -- I've taken the trasin to work for about three or four years now, and I much prefer it to the alternative; I can read the paper or the latest novel, catch up o nmy home movie editing, have a light breakfast, or just sleep... and it's cheaper than the price of gas and parking. L.A. is a bit car-obsessed (and there's nothing wrong with that, per se -- it's just that there are too many of us who won't give up our cars), but we're changing.