Monday, April 17, 2006

On The Mark -- Hissing

That's it. I'm packing it in. I'm gonna buy one of those 500-square-foot portable huts I read about recently and find a quiet place in the middle of nowhere. I can't take it anymore. What pushed me over the edge?

One of the hottest crazes in jewelry (as reported this weekend in the business section of the L.A. Times, no less) is the new "roach brooch," a live, hissing, 3-inch crystal-studded cockroach that one wears by chain or pin.

They sell for $40 at the store in Salt Lake City where they were introduced, or one can buy them on the internet for $80. But you should know there is a waiting list.

One buyer, a 4th grade teacher, said, "I love all animals."

Huh?

By the way, the designer uses only male cockroaches because the females bite. I'll leave it at that.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was going to say, "What is wrong with people?" but all I can do is sigh and shake my head.

Trish said...

Wow, I could give them a few Texas-sized hissers for free, courtesy of my exterminator.

bitchphd said...

What I hate about this story is that it makes me feel sorry for cockroaches.

Jack Steiner said...

This story bugs me.

Janet said...

This post reminds me, just because something is unique, doesn't mean it's a good thing.

I also love the "this bugs me" comment, but Jack's Shack got there first.:(

Sophie said...

another case of nut fad. what are they going to come up with next - buzzing bees? silly and slight.

Unknown said...

I got all creeped out by this post..but then wondered...do they come w/directions on how to feed them and keep them alive? If they die on you, what do you do w/the gems?

Twisted stuff to be sure.Reminds me of the chameleons people wore on little chains when I was in grade school.I felt bad for the little lizards...but I hate roaches.