Saturday, February 02, 2008

Betting on the Superbowl

"If I lose today, I can look forward to winning tomorrow, and if I win today, I can expect to lose tomorrow. A sure thing is no fun."
Chico Marx (1887–1961), one of the Marx Brothers

Television sets will be tuned into the Superbowl on Sunday, millions will have made bets. I used to make little bets to increase my interest in the game, but these days I could careless who wins. I would like to see the Giants win for an upset. I like underdogs for the most part.

Here are some other wages if you are bored with the game:
  • Tom Petty will smoke a joint during this halftime performance (25-1)
  • Michael Jason will sing a duet with Petty (10-1)
  • Petty will trip and fall on stage (100-1)
  • What song will Petty open with? “Free Fallin” (3-1), “The Waiting” (10-1) “American Girl” (7-4)
  • First beer commercial during halftime? Bud Light (2-3), Coors Light (3-2) Miller Draft (7-1)
  • First car commercial during halftime? Ford (6-5), Chevrolet (3-2), Toyota (3-1)

I'll tune in, but finish reading the Sunday newspapers and football will be the background noise.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ooh, that would make things more interesting; I especially like the idea of betting on the commercials, since that's when I pay the most attention. I'm not sure why, since the most entertaining ones can be viewed on YouTube the following day, if not sooner.

Married friends of ours come over every year and watch it with us, and I usually feel kind of bad for the guy, who really likes football, having to watch the game with three women, only one of whom (Sporks) likes or follows the game at all. But I guess sending him your way would net a similar result.

I wonder if there's a single household in the nation where there'll be a living room full of shouting female football fans, with one bored guy fetching snacks.