Sunday, May 15, 2005

The Misanthrope – Sunday’s Lighter Side

Jazz is an intensified feeling of nonchalance.
Françoise Sagan, French novelist

Late Night Jazz. After a grueling week that still has not ended, I took a break Friday night with On the Mark to catch the late show of the Tierney Sutton Quartet at Catalina’s Bar and Grill. The music was enjoyable and relaxing, just what the doctor ordered. The show started 10:30ish and ended just before midnight.

The quartet consists of Tierney Sutton, Christian Jacob on piano, Trey Henry on bass, and Ray Brinker on drums. Classic jazz standards personalized by an innovative group made such songs as “Old Devil Moon,” “Someday my Prince Will Come,” “Willow Weep for Me,” “Route 66,” and many others. It was a pleasant pause during a hectic month of seemingly non-stop work.

After the show I yielded to temptation and purchased one of her CDs. It was overpriced at the club, but I guess the premium is the charge for instant gratification. I also justified the cost by having her sign the CD. I probably would have passed on the signing, but I was playing a Ray Brown CD the other day and was pleasantly surprised to see that he had autographed it. He passed away couple of years ago, but he was one of the top bass players in the business. I think he was married to Ella Fitzgerald at one time, too.

The Tierney Sutton Quartet seems to be touring frequently; check them out if you get a chance.

I Don’t Want to Grow Up. Daughter called Friday late afternoon to tell me she did not want to grow up. “Daddy, I don’t want to grow up.” I had nothing encouraging to tell her. I doubt many of us did or wanted to for very long. Tom Waits has an excellent song on the subject of growing up. Here is a sampling of the lyrics to the song “I Don’t Want to Grow Up”:

When I see the 5 o'clock news
I don't wanna grow up
Comb their hair and shine their shoes
I don't wanna grow up

Stay around in my old hometown
I don't wanna put no money down
I don't wanna get a big old loan
Work them fingers to the bone
I don't wanna float in a broom
Fall in love, get married then boom
How the hell did it get here so soon


A Few Things I’ve Done, I Won’t Do Again. My twist on the meme going around:

Ride in an old military helicopter
Float in a hot air balloon
Soar in a glider
Go to Disneyland on Christmas Eve (or ever again)
See Brandford Marsalis at a jazz club
Get married
Pass a car on a hill

1 comment:

Janet said...

The grass is greener on the other side applies to so many areas of life. When you're a kid, you spend all of your time wishing you were an adult. But once you finally become one, you wish you could go back.:(