Thursday, September 01, 2005

Blogs Pitch In

In charity there is no excess.
Francis Bacon (1561 - 1626), philosopher, statesman, and lawyer

I have been looking for the best charity to donate money to help the hurricane Katrina victims and I found one that works for me. I found the organization Mercy Corps at Simply Put's site. Poliblog is encouraging donations for Habitat for Humanity, which makes a lot of sense to me, but when I saw that my $100 would only buy a sink, I felt as though I wanted my donation to go toward necessities and only 8% goes toward administrative costs.

What liked about Mercy Corps:

Mercy Corps exists to alleviate suffering, poverty and oppression by helping people build secure, productive and just communities. The agency's programs currently reach 7 million people in more than 35 countries. Since 1979, Mercy Corps has provided over $1 billion in assistance to people in 81 nations. Mercy Corps is a nonprofit organization with headquarters in Portland, Seattle, Cambridge, Washington, D.C. and Edinburgh, Scotland.

Mercy Corps has learned that communities recovering from war or social upheaval must be the agents of their own transformation for change to endure. It's only when communities set their own agendas, raise their own resources and implement programs themselves, that their first successes result in the renewed hope, confidence and skills to continue development.


The wife wondered aloud how much President Bush is donating. I believe on his taxes that are made public each year, it shows he contributes to charities. However, I think it would be symbolic and nice for him to kick-off a fund-rising effort by donating $1,000 or more.

Another thought; this will definitely have an impact on Jerry Lewis’ Muscular Dystrophy campaign that takes place over the Labor Day weekend.

No comments: