Sunday, September 11, 2005

DeLay Asks Katrina Survivors In Shelter If It's "Fun"

While on the tour of the Reliant Park shelter in Houston (where Hurricane Katrina victims are being housed) U.S. House Majority Leader Tom DeLay stopped to chat with three young boys resting on cots. The congressman likened their stay to being at camp and asked, "Now tell me the truth boys, is this kind of fun?" [Source]

This, when we're hearing such tragic stories from survivors:

"I keep telling myself it's going to be all right," said Lakerisha Boyd, breathing deeply to control frayed nerves and turning her face away from her room, where eleven people are sharing two beds. "I can't start crying because of the other children. I can't break down. I'm all they've got right now. But I just want to know, where's my baby?"

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think that many of the comments coming out of Republicans mouths have been heartless...the worst, of course, being from Barbara Bush.

However, I'm going to say that his was probably an attempt on DeLay's part to try to cheer up the boys. It was a poor attempt, of course, but I don't think he meant to belittle their situation.

This does not mean I like DeLay now. I just think it's important to give the man credit where it's due.

Anonymous said...

i hate to sound republican here, but i have been volunteering at the dallas convention center. we have been making the situation as comfortable, actually fun, as possible for children especially. therapy will follow, but for now the children need be reminded of joy.
that is all.

Anonymous said...

and no, i'm not republican.