Friday, July 29, 2005

All You Need is Love
And Money

Nobody told me there’d be days like these
Strange days indeed -- most peculiar, mama
John Lennon (1940-1980), singer, song writer, Beatle, from the song "Strange Days"

According to a Reuters report, a handwritten lyric sheet for "All You Need is Love" used by John Lennon in 1967 was sold for 600,000 pounds ($1.04 million) at an auction in London on Thursday, organizers said.

I think John Lennon would have gotten a laugh over the fact anything he touches is worth hundreds of thousands of dollars, at a minimum. I don’t have a record player, so I can’t go back and listen to his "Double Fantasy" album where he laughs and comments toward the end of one of the songs about Yoko selling a cow for almost $100,000, which he thought was crazy at the time.

The "All You Need Is Love" lyric sheet was used by Lennon during a television performance by the Beatles and could be seen on film footage dropping to the floor after the song was performed, said a spokesman for auctioneers Cooper Owen.

A girl working for the BBC at the time retrieved the manuscript from beneath Lennon's music stand. She provided a letter of authenticity for Thursday's sale.

If I had more money than I knew what to do with, I too would purchase something of Lennon’s, most likely some of his art work.

2 comments:

Janet said...

Reminds me of a great quote from an Elvis Costello song: "Was it a millionaire who said imagine no possessions?"

Link working now.:)

The Misanthrope said...

I too loved that line, which I took as a dig at "Imagine." that song was co-written by Costello and Paul McCartney, so I am not sure exactly who inserted the line. My guess it was Costello since he is known for such lines.