Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Common Sense Up in Smoke

When a nation’s young men are conservative, its funeral bell is already rung.
Henry Ward Beecher (1813–87), U.S. clergyman

I was reading the Wall Street Journal’s July 1 issue and in the Personal section, there is an article on Showtime’s new series “Weeds,” which is about a recently widowed mother who makes ends meet by selling marijuana.

As I continued to read the article (I would link to it but being the capitalist tool that the WSJ is, one has to subscribe to its online version in addition to its newspaper), I found it very troubling that the series creator Jenji Kohan had to justify that she does not smoke pot and that she has strong family values.

…Ms. Kohan says she’s anything but a cultural radical. Raised as a conservative Jew, she sends her two kids to a religious school and gathers with her extended family each Friday for a traditional Shabbat dinner.

Thank goodness. I thought she was a godless, commie and selling drugs to the neighborhood kids.

I can only hope that the hard right swing that this country has taken will mean that we will take a hard left to balance out the nonsense.

No comments: