Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Summer Music

Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid.
Frank Zappa (1940–93), rock musician

What I listened to on my summer vacation. Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Nat King Cole, Louie Armstrong all have summer carefree songs in their oeuvre, and to me they denote tranquil lazy hammock-resting days, if only I had a hammock, but the couch works or just sitting on the patio.

My summer CD includes:
Summer Wind (Frank Sinatra)
Nice ‘N’ Easy (Frank Sinatra)
The Good Life (Frank Sinatra)
The Way You Look Tonight (Frank Sinatra)
That’s Amore (Dean Martin)
Ain’t that a Kick in the Head (Dean Martin)
On The Sunny Side of the Street (Dean Martin)
What a Wonderful World (Louis Armstrong)
That Sunday, That Summer (Nat King Cole)
I Can’t Stop Loving You (Frank Sinatra)
Fly Me to the Moon (Frank Sinatra & Count Basie)
Almost Like Being in Love (Nat King Cole)
Gone Fishin’ (Louis Armstrong & Bing Crosby)
When You’re Smiling (Louis Armstrong)
A Kiss to Build a Dream On (Louis Armstrong)
Girl From Ipanema (Frank Sinatra & Antonio Carlos Jobim)
Once I Loved (o Amor en Paz) (Frank Sinatra & Antonio Carlos Jobim)
Corcovado (Frank Sinatra & Antonio Carlos Jobim)
Falling in Love with Love (Frank Sinatra)
Have You Met Miss Jones (Frank Sinatra)
Me and My Shadow (Frank Sinatra & Sammy Davis Jr.)
The Best is Yet to Come (Frank Sinatra & Count Basie)
You’d Be So Easy to Love (Frank Sinatra)
Love Walked In (Frank Sinatra)
Zing! Went the Strings of my Heart (Frank Sinatra)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

this thursday i have a business lunch to discuss singing just that type of music at a swanky tex-asian (stop laughing) lounge in downtown dallas. would you recommend me giving the listed albums a listen?

B2 said...

Mr. AL -

The Misanthrope is on vacation right now, and may not be able to respond to your question. That being the case, I'm sure he would recommend those albums, as they're what he's listenting to these days. Good luck with the meeting.

P.S. Tex-Asian?

The Misanthrope said...

Andrea, let me know how your lunch goes. I would most certainly recommend some of those songs to get the place swinging. Tell me more about your singing.