Movies are an inherently stupid art form that often relies on scams, tricks, stunts, gambits, ploys, ruses, or gags that are logically or physically impossible, and often both.
Joe Queenan, journalist and writer
In Las Vegas I would have most lightly would have lost since the contest would have been a parlay, which means you have to pick all the right categories. I was only five out of eight. Now we know why I don’t make a living gambling.
- The tribute to Johnny Carson almost made me want to stand and applaud.
- I loved Chris Rock’s opening monologue. I loved his intro of Tim Robbins, “When he is not making movies he bores us with his politics.”
- Scarlett Johansen said that she enjoyed meeting the greatest minds behind the movies. I have no doubt she ever met a head she didn’t like.
- I missed Chuck Workman for his collage of films, those who know me will understand for obvious reasons.
- Why did Carlos Santana have to take off his sunglasses to hug Antonio Banderas?
- The Oscars seemed very rushed to me, which also limited or neutralized Chris Rock’s humor.
- While I did not believe Million Dollar Baby was all that great, I was glad to see Clint Eastwood, Hilary Swank and Morgan Freeman win.