Monday, February 14, 2005

Thoughts on Valentine’s Day

Love: A grave mental disease.
Plato, philosopher, 330? BC

I read where Hallmark says, 60 percent of customers buy their Valentine cards several days in advance. I can tell you that the other 40 percent where in my local Hallmark store. The line snaked throughout the little store.

Something completely out of character for me, I walked over to the Sees candy store to get a small box of chocolates. I didn’t even open the store door. It looked like an old college game of seeing how many people could fit into a telephone booth.

I told the wife readership numbers have been low this weekend. “Of course,” she responded, “everyone is out kissing butt.” She might be right both figuratively and literally.

Here are some apropos quotes on LOVE on this day when people are kissing butt:

Love is like war: easy to begin but very hard to stop.
H.L. Mencken, journalist

Love: A mutual misunderstanding
Oscar Wilde, playwright

Love: A narcissism shared by two
Rita Mae Brown, author and social activist

Love is like an hourglass, with the heart filling up as the brain empties
Jules Renard, writer

3 comments:

B2 said...

I, for one, am not too proud to be judged romantic. And so, in what I'm sure you will acknowledge is the height of romance, I publicly declare my love for my wife. Via blog. Hi honey! I'll be done typing soon!

On The Mark said...

OK, B2, but only for today...

True hearts have eyes and ears, no tongues to speak;
They hear and see, and sigh, and then they break.

Sir Edward Dyer (1550?-1607)

bitchphd said...

Y'all are funny, I'm glad you introduced yourself.